You’re in the right place if…
You want to know how to build digital products.
Or you are currently building digital product.
… whether that’s for yourself OR the company you work for.
Hello and Welcome — I’m Lou.
And I am obsessed with digital products — such as websites and apps.
SO, YOU WANNA BUILD A PRODUCT?
For years I have built web applications for the companies I worked for.
A few years ago, on a sunny afternoon I was hacking together a demo for a job interview when I had a realisation… I could now build my own products and I could do it fast.
So I set about trying to solve real problems by building digital products. But, it wasn’t that simple. Building the product is only 10% of it …
Finding the right market, validating the idea and even (seemingly unrelated) areas like my motivations were all more important than I first realised.
Not only did I need to work on the products, I needed to work on myself.
Fast forward to the present day and I’m still building products — but this time I’m doing it differently.
I CAN HELP YOU BUILD YOUR PRODUCT
This website is about outcomes. Products that deliver real results for real people.
Whether you work for someone else or you want to build your own product — if the goal is to create products that have impact you’re in the right place.
Ready to get started reading?
Need a pointer on where to start? Why not check out these articles…
Or, scroll down for the full list of posts…
Want to stay up to date? Sign up to the newsletter.
I know you’re busy. That’s why I have a newsletter so you can get every one of the new posts in your inbox. So sign up and get involved!
What do you want to know more about?
I believe in radically honest feedback. And this website is for you, so I need your help to improve it.
Let me know what you want to hear about, or what you think isn’t so good.
Alternatively if you just want to chat, feel free to get in touch.
You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
A quick note on affiliates
Unfortunately hosting this website does have a cost. To offset this, some of the links I use are from affiliates.
I’m totally upfront about this. I never recommend something I wouldn’t or haven’t already bought myself.
If you do buy something I recommend, if you use a link from this website, I’ll see a small kickback from the purchase which helps me maintain and continue my work.
Thanks in advance!
Every post by category….
Below is every post, broken down by it’s category 🙂
- 8 Non-Programming Books You Haven’t Considered That Will Boost Your Programmer Career
- The Software Career You Didn’t Think To Consider — Professional Services
- Writing A Punchy Junior Software Developer Cover Letter: A Case Study.
- On being and hiring an apprentice
- On becoming a better developer without losing your sanity (8 tips)
- Creating a powerful online presence with a platform
- Plot twist! Your portfolio is not about you …
- Why “Should you build your portfolio with code or a template?” is the wrong question
- The best software developers write, you should too
- Why learning a new framework could damage your career.
Leadership & Teams
- Build Faster, Waste Less, and Save Your Sanity by Writing World Class Tickets.
- How to Coach: A Cheat Sheet
- Building a Workplace Learning Culture: Starter Kit.
- How unclear roles can damage your teams performance (and what you can do about it)
- Beyond scrum: Augmenting agile frameworks to achieve high team performance.
- Why so many miss the point of scrum.
- Want to become more agile? Ask yourself these 3 questions.
- Does your agile team have a “learning disability”?
- Agile is the ability to change, not just the ability to ship.
- The importance of trust in software teams for disaster avoidance
Product & Design
- You’re Selling It Wrong — How to Explain DevOps so Your Business Will Care
- The Secret Splitoo Master Plan (just between you and me)
- A rundown on the insights from user-testing Splitoo.
- Do incremental delivery models hinder our ability to deliver on vision?
- Unit testing: Why you aren’t convinced (and what to do about it)
Skills & Productivity
- The one and only thing I’ll be focusing on in 2018
- The important questions I ask myself every week, and why.
- Stoicism: A software developers guide.
- An inside look at my favourite apps
- How ancient greek philosophy will make you a better developer
- Debug with the scientific method and preserve your sanity